Thursday, July 12, 2012

Books for Tots

This summer, we partnered with CSX to unroll the pilot Books for Tots literacy program. I had the chance to visit John Love Elementary School and witness the program first-hand. The kids seemed to be very excited to participate, and as soon as I caught a glimpse of one of the books- I was excited!

I remember reading the book Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day as a child- which was probably passed down from my sisters. I'm pretty sure I didn't understand the meaning of the book then- that everyone has bad days, no matter where you are, but I still enjoyed reading the book regardless.


The program focuses on the importance of literacy and will also teach the children valuable lessons. The books, donated by the library, will be checked out and read by the children each week. They will focus on highlighted themes such as "Do the Right Thing," and "Find a Way." CSX volunteers will engage in a reading discussion with the children following the completion of each book. The program runs on Mondays from 11 a.m. to noon through July 23rd.

-Holly, 2012 Summer Development Intern

No comments:

Post a Comment